Friday, January 25, 2013

Organizing!

For those of you that know me, you know that I Love organizing!! My old teaching partner used to tell me that I should be a professional organizer... 

Anyway, here are 5 areas of my house with pics of how I have organized them along with a few organization tips:


1. Books/Printing area:
Who says your printer has to go on a desk? I opted to put my printer on a bookshelf instead of the typical placement for it on a desk. This is because it is so large that it would take up the entire desk! 



This also allowed me to organize my paper on a bookshelf right by the printer making it easy to pick out and change out paper if needed. I also opted to purchase a new wireless printer this school year and I absolutely LOVE it!! Now that I have a home with 3 levels (including the basement I will one day finish) the printer was a perfect purchase for me! I also organized my teaching resources (there are still many more that need to be added- summer project! lol) into these large binders on the bottom shelf. I love having them organized this way because it is so easy to access and grab what I need. One day I'll do an organization post of my classroom...

2. Kitchen Spices:
I searched for a spice rack that I liked for a month probably and I couldn't find one. I didn't want the spices to take up valuable space on the counter and I hated rummaging through the cabinet to find the spice that I was looking for all the time. I also loved the spice racks that turned (oscillated) on the counter but there was only space for like 15-20 spices. So... I made my own.


I bought these clear glass spice containers from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for 99cents each I believe and then used my label maker to label each spice. I also purchased the adjustable shelf at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $15 I believe. I love my spice cabinet and other people love it when they come over to cook also! I have a similar set up for my sprinkles for baking :-) You can see it in the pic below the spices.


3. File Cabinet area:
I have a small file cabinet that I use to stay organized. I love it because all of my paperwork can stay out of the open. Here you can see how I've organized the top of it to be functional as well... 


I have cute file folders and label them according to what I need/use the most often. The folders I chose are: To Do, Mail, To File, Return, and Other. Most are self explanatory, however, I the "Return" folder is for items that I've borrowed from friends or receipts of items I need to return, or mail that isn't mine that needs to be returned.


4. Closet space: 
Now, this must be said first, in my bedroom I have 2 closets. I also use some of the closet space in my office/craftroom.  




I color-coordinate my clothes in my closet, and I hang them up from no-sleeves to short sleeves to long sleeves. In one closet, I have white/tan/yellow/orange/pink/red. In the other closet in my room I have green/blue/purple/brown/gray/black. Then in the office/craftroom closet, I have multi-colored shirts, dresses, suits, and shoes.


5. Linen Closet:
This isn't the best organizing, but at least it's organized right? Here is a pic of the whole thing...

My linen closet is located in a weird place, on my first floor. To me that's weird since all the showers and bedrooms and laundry are all upstairs. Anyway, I use baskets all over my house to keep things organized. The top two shelves are towels. 

Next is a shelf with some mixmatched items on it. I have a few tableclothes, extra curtains etc. on the right, and a basket on the left.

In the basket is full of the following... batteries, extra light bulbs, extra nails, and hammer (it's not pictured here because I was using it to hang items in my craft room!), also extra outlet/surge protectors, and extension cords:


On the next shelf, there are two baskets:


 
One is used for candles, Scentsy bricks, candle lighters, etc. 




The other basket is full of medicine. I don't have a need to sort out my medicine into separate baskets right now since I live by myself.


Now, the bottom shelf is a little different. It used to hold cleaning supplies, but I finally moved those under the bathroom sink on the main floor. Now, the bottom shelf holds all my extra lotions, shower gels/body wash, handsoaps, etc. 



These are just a few of the things in my home that are organized. Please share with me some of the ways you organize!

Thanks for stopping by:

~LaKrystal~ 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE this post! I need more organization in my life ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love organizing but sometimes I make a bigger mess in the process of organizing :-)

      Delete